Controlling H2S emissions from the anaerobic treatment of wastewater with a high sulfate content
SuPER-W PhD fellowship, Joint Doctorate under the patronage of UCT Prague (Department of Water Technology and Environmental Engineering) and Gent University (Department of Biosystems Engineering)
Microaeration, i.e., the controlled dosing of a small amount of air into the anaerobic reactor to promote H2S oxidation, is a simple process that has been demonstrated to reach high H2S removal efficiencies in a cost-effective way. However, several challenges are still associated with the microaeration processes, such as a lack of knowledge regarding the exact chemical and biological processes during microaeration and their mechanisms, effect of biofilm formation, reactor geometry, liquid-gas interface and mixing on sulfide oxidation, as well as the design of online control strategies to minimize the undesired affects and optimize the process.
This PhD project aims to tackle the above-mentioned challenges through several short-term and long-term lab-scale and full-scale experiments. Moreover, a mathematical model will be set up to design appropriate control strategies. Mathematical model application for full-scale plant design, operation and optimization is a great tool to optimize the technical designs and minimize the implementation and operation costs, moreover it assists the technology transfer from research to industry.
Other area of interest
- Anaerobic membrane bioreactors (AnMBR)
- Ecological risk assessment and environmental impact evaluation/studies
- Industrial utilities, process control design and engineering, green engineering
- Soil remediation (IMETE summer course on management and remediation of contaminated sediments)
- Development planning and sociology
- 2016 - present: UCT Prague, Department of Water technology and environmental engineering, PhD. Student
- 2014 – 2016: UNESCO-IHE, UCT Prague, Gent University, International master of science in environmental technology and engineering (IMETE); Diploma thesis: “Detailed characterization of municipal wastewater pretreated in AnMBR”
- 2007-2010: Allameh Tabatabaie University, Theran-Iran, Master of science in regional development planning; Diploma thesis: “Evaluation of spatial inequalities in access to energy in Iran using ArcGIS ”
- 2001 – 2006: Amirkabir university of technology, Tehran-Iran, Bachelor of science in chemical engineering; Diploma thesis: “Simulation of convection heat transfer inside the solids with C#”
Participation on teaching
- Sedaghat, B., Jalilzadeh, S., Sajedinia, E. R. and Zamanfar, N., "Evaluation of "subside elimination policies" economical effects on applying photovoltaic systems for commercial buildings in Iran," The 3rd Conference on Thermal Power Plants, Tehran, 2011, pp. 1-5.
- Zamanfar, N., Jomehpour, M., (2011), "Energy resources distribution impact on regional inequalities in Iran”, Common Ground 5th International conference of interdisciplinary social science, University of Cambridge, UK, 2011, pp. 26.