My two main topics are the recovery of specific chemicals from wastewater including ladderane lipids and N2O and antimicrobial resistance in wastewater treatment and production of potable water. Since my early studies, I also work on innovative removal of nitrogen from wastewater (especially the Anammox process) to make wastewater treatment more sustainable in terms of energy consumption, GHG emissions and costs.
I finished my MSc in 2014 and my PhD in 2020. In 2018, I did an internship in TU Delft in the groups of prof. van Loosdrecht and Assoc. Prof. Weissbrodt.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- GAČR Ladderosome - 20-13766S – Unique ladderane phospholipids in anammox bacteria: potential valuable product from wastewater 2020–2022
- TAČR Microgenel – Elimination of micropollutants and antibiotic resistence genes from the environment and human health 2018–2020
- GAČR 17-25781S – Physiological reaction of anammox bacteria to cold shocks 2017–2019
- TAČR TA04020951 – Biological production of methanol from waste methane 2015–2017
- 2020 - Laureate of French Embassy Award for excellent research on climate protection “MOPGA 2020”, 1st place
- 2019 - 1st prize for the best poster presentation at conference 11th Eastern European Young Water Professionals Conference 2019; 3rd prize for the best poster presentation at conference VODA 2019 Poděbrady
- 2018 - 1st prize for the best scientific oral presentation at conference "Odpadové vody 2018" in Slovakia
- 2016 - 1st prize for best scientific oral presentation at conference "Odpadové vody 2016" in Slovakia
- 2015 - 1st prize for best poster presentation at international conference 12th IWA Specialized Conference on Design, Operation, and Economics of Large Wastewater Treatment Plants. Prague, Czech Republic
- 2014 - 2nd prize for best oral scientific presentation at conference "Odpadové vody 2014" in Slovakia; Laureate of the Unipetrol Prize for the best MSc thesis in the field providing benefits to the industry
Other areas of interest:
- I lead MSc and BSc theses, let me know if interested or if you just want to take part in exciting research topics
- Robotic Spectro analyzer Gallery with ECM module – if you want to use it, let me know, I will gladly teach you
- Ongoing collaborations with industry
- Introductory session to new Ph.D. students
- Support of publishing at the department – regular Writing Sessions, feedback on manuscripts to impacted journals
- Since 2021 - Member of the senate of Faculty of Environmental Engineering
- Since 2022 - Vice-chairman of the senate of Faculty of Environmental Engineering
- Kouba, V., Hůrková, K., Navrátilová, K., Vejmelková, D., Benáková, A., Laureni, M., Vodičková, P., Podzimek, T., Lipovová, P., van Niftrik, L., Hajšlová, J., van Loosdrecht, M.C.M., Weissbrodt, D.G. and Bartacek, J. 2022. On anammox activity at low temperature: effect of ladderane composition and process conditions Chem. Eng. J. accepted.
- Kouba, V., Vejmelkova, D., Zwolsman, E., Hurkova, K., Navratilova, K., Laureni, M., Vodickova, P., Podzimek, T., Hajslova, J., Pabst, M., van Loosdrecht, M.C.M., Bartacek, J., Lipovova, P. and Weissbrodt, D.G. 2021. Adaptation of anammox bacteria to low temperature via gradual acclimation and cold shocks: distinctions in protein expression, membrane composition, and activities. Water Research, accepted.
- (2021) Adaptation of flocculent anammox culture to low temperature by cold shock: long-term response of the microbial population, Environmental Technology,
- Kouba, V., Svehla, P., Catrysse, M., Prochazkova, L., Hrncirova, H., Jenicek, P., Bartacek, J. 2017. How biomass growth mode affects ammonium oxidation start-up and NOB inhibition in partial nitritation of cold and diluted reject water. Environ Technol, ahead of print.
- Kouba, V.; Darmal, R.; Vejmelkova, D.; Jenicek, P.; Bartacek, J., Cold shocks of anammox biofilm stimulate nitrogen removal at low temperatures Biotechnol Prog 2017, ahead of print.
- Kouba, V., Proksova E., Wiesinger H., Vejmelkova D., Bartacek, J. 2017. Good servant, bad master: Sulfide influence on partial nitritation of sewage. Water Sci Technol, 76(5). doi: 10.2166/wst.2017.490
- Kouba, V., Vejmelkova D., Proksova E., Wiesinger H., Concha M., Dolejs P., Hejnic J., Jenicek P., Bartacek, J. 2017. High-rate partial nitritation of municipal wastewater after psychrophilic anaerobic pre-treatment. Environ Sci Technol, ahead of print. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.7b02078
- Hejnic Jakub, Dolejs Petr, Kouba Vojtech, Prudilova Andrea, Widiayuningrum Patria and Bartacek Jan. Comparing Anaerobic Treatment of Sewage at 15 °C Using UASB Reactor and Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactor. Environmental Engineering Science. Volume 33, Number 11, doi: 10.1089/ees.2016.0163, ahead of print.
- Kouba, V., Widiayuningrum, P., Chovancova, L., Jenicek, P., Bartacek, J. 2016b. Applicability of one-stage partial nitritation and anammox in MBBR for anaerobically pre-treated municipal wastewater. J Ind Microbiol Biot, 43(7), 965-975. doi: 10.1007/s10295-016-1766-2
- Kouba, V., Catrysse, M., Stryjova, H., Jonatova, I., Volcke, E.I.P., Svehla, P., Bartacek, J. 2014a. The impact of influent total ammonium nitrogen concentration on nitrite-oxidizing bacteria inhibition in moving bed biofilm reactor. Water Sci Technol, 69(6), 1227-33. doi: 10.2166/wst.2013.757