Biological production of methanol from waste methane streams
Biogas of poor quality or from small sources is often flared without utilization of its energy content. Dissolved methane is present in AD effluents in low concentrations. Treatment of low-strength wastewater is releasing large amounts of dissolved methane to the atmosphere via large water flux through the system. Present technology is able to separate the methane from effluent by stripping it out and also to oxidise it, but the energy content is lost.
Aerobic and also anaerobic microorganisms are able to utilize methane as substrate. Biological methanol production is proposed as simple method for utilization of waste methane streams.
Other fields of interest
- Anaerobic treatment of municipal and industrial wastewater
- Urban drainage
- 2015 - present: ICT Prague, FTOP, Department of Water technology and environmental engineering, PhD. Student
- 2013 – 2015 ICT Prague, FTOP, Department of Water technology and environmental engineering, diploma thesis: „Energy recovery from municipal wastewater in anaerobic membrane bioreactor “
- 2010 – 2013 ICT Prague, FTOP, bachelor thesis: “Municipal wastewater treatment in anaerobic reactors“.
Participation on teaching
- Laboratory Course in Water Analysis
- Kouba, V., Vejmelkova D., Proksova E., Wiesinger H., Concha M., Dolejs P., Hejnic J., Jenicek P., Bartacek, J. 2017. High-rate partial nitritation of municipal wastewater after psychrophilic anaerobic pre-treatment. Environ Sci Technol, ahead of print
- Hejnic Jakub, Dolejs Petr, Kouba Vojtech, Prudilova Andrea, Widiayuningrum Patria and Bartacek Jan. Comparing Anaerobic Treatment of Sewage at 15 °C Using UASB Reactor and Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactor. Environmental Engineering Science. Volume 33, Number 11, doi: 10.1089/ees.2016.0163, ahead of print.
- Dolejs Petr, Gotvald Robert, Velazquez Aida M.L., Hejnic Jakub, Jenicek Pavel, and Bartacek Jan. Contact Stabilization with Enhanced Accumulation Process for Energy Recovery from Sewage. Environmental Engineering Science. August 2016, ahead of print. doi:10.1089/ees.2016.0155.
- Dolejs, P., Gotvald, R., Velazquez, A.M.L., Hejnic, J., Jenicek, P., Bartacek, J. 2016. Bioflocculation as an up-concentration step for energy recovery from municipal wastewater. in: 3rd IWA Specialized International Conference Ecotechnologies for Wastewater Treatment (ecoSTP16), International Water Association. Cambridge27-30 June, United Kingdom, pp. 4.
- Kouba V., Catrysse M., Jonatová I., Hejnic J., Stryjova H., Svehla P., Volcke E. I. P. and Bartacek J. (2013). Effect of influent Nammon concentration on NOB activity in SBBR reactors at low temperature. In: 13th World Congress on Anaerobic Digestion, Santiago, Spain.
- Bartacek, J., Kouba, V., Catrysse, M., Hejnic, J., Dolejs, P., Svehla, P., Volcke, E.I.P. & Jenicek, P. (2012). Biogas production from municipal wastewater at low temperature - effluent treatment. In: III Latin American Congress of Biorefineries, Pucón, Chile.